We have all experienced the awful situation that is having the water rising up instead of draining. Having a clogged drain is one of the most unpleasant things that homeowners bump into but you should keep in mind that if you want, you can try and clean them by yourself before you call us at Blocked Drain Plumbers.
Keep in mind that you should stay away from chemical products when cleaning your drains because with time passing, they corrode the pipes and thus causing bigger issues to your clogged drain. Consider trying one of these homemade products instead:
• Boiling water: you should try pouring boiling water down the clogged drain first as sometimes this is all it takes to clear the drain. Beware not to burn yourself in the process.
• Vinegar and baking soda: if you have been unsuccessful with the boiling water, go back to middle school and make your new volcano project with vinegar and baking soda. Pour it down the drain and if you are lucky, the foam will be able to clear the clogged drain in no time.
• Plunger: if you are having your toilet clogged, this is the first thing you have to try (plungers are useful in tubs and sink too though). Remember that there need to be standing water over the drain before you start plunging as this will create the necessary suction to clear the clog away.
Get the snake
If you have tried all of the above tips and you haven’t cleared the clog, you might need to go in by hand. What you need is a snake or a similar tools that is able to bend in order to go through the pipes and reach the blockage. A bent coat hanger is very useful, if you don’t have a snake at home. If you see that the clogged drain is located farther up the pipes, you might need a metal snake with a crank in order to catch the blockage and bring it out.
If you see that the snake isn’t fitting through the drains’ crosshatch, you will probably be able to remove the drain completely. There are bathtubs that are equipped with an overflow plate which is located below the faucet and when removing it, you will be able to get access to the pipes. If you are unsure about operating alone and damaging the drain or the fixture itself, call a professional plumber.
Consider following those simple plumbing hygiene steps if you want to fix the clogged drain problem before it even starts:
• Remove the leftover food off the plates and put them into the garbage can before you wash them in the sink.
• Don’t dispose of grease in the sink.
• Consider buying a screen trap to catch the debris or hair in your kitchen sink or in your shower.
• Remember not to flush anything down the toilet except of human waste or toilet paper.
Call in for help
If you have done everything in your power to clear the clog but you didn’t succeed, don’t wait and call us. You might have a bigger blockage that you won’t be able to clear alone or there might be a bigger problem like a collapse in the sewers’ outlet. Reaching out to an experienced plumber like Blocked Drain Plumbers is the best thing you could do as we will be able to inspect, find the problem and fix it!
If you need professional help contact us on 0412 738 874 or leave a message.
We are the experts to call for blocked drains in Melbourne, leading sewer plumber in Melbourne as well as emergency plumbing professional.